Have you Seen Mary? is a fictional account of one sandhill crane's faithful search during migration for his lost mate. Set on Nebraska's Platte River, Kurrus weaves a tender story of love while also teaching us about these majestic birds. Written by Jeff Kurrus with photographic images by the award-winning Michael Forsberg, this book will appeal to all ages for its ability to entertain as well as educate readers about sandhill cranes.
9.5" x 9" – 44 pages – 40 color photographs.
$16.99 hardcover. Books purchased through Michael Forsberg Gallery are signed by Mike and Jeff.
Published by Michael Forsberg Photography. Copyright 2012
"No one has photographed sandhill cranes as thoroughly or as well as Michael Forsberg. Here, author Jeff Kurrus cleverly weaves a story around these images, luring readers young and old into one of nature’s great spectacles."
- DAVID BRISTOW, Author of Sky Sailors: True Stories of the Balloon Era and editor of Nebraska History Magazine
"Jeff Kurrus’s words and Michael Forsberg’s photographs are teamed here to bring us a remarkable story from the natural world they both cherish. The result is an elegant, touching and inspiring book to help reconnect our children to nature, and not a moment too late. May there be many more like this to come."
- JOEL SARTORE, Author, Conservationist, and Contributing Photographer for National Geographic Magazine
"Have You Seen Mary? is an appealing children’s story that blends in a good deal of crane natural history, liberally sprinkled with Mike Forsberg’s spectacular photographs of sandhill cranes and their Great Plains wetlands habitats."
- PAUL JOHNSGARD, Foundation Professor Emeritus, University of Nebraska–Lincoln
"Have You Seen Mary? is a beautiful and sweet story that will teach kids about these majestic birds without letting them know they’re learning. A wonderful job both on the layout and image choices."
- KAREN McDIARMID, Art Director, Stranger in the Woods series
"Bravo! Have You Seen Mary? is a magnificent book loaded with spectacular images nicely woven into a narrative."
- DONALD SMITH, Publisher of Grand Island Independent
"What a sweet story! It conveys solid information about crane biology without feeling at all like a textbook, and the photos are stunning."
- JULIE HAMMONDS, Associate Editor for Arizona Wildlife Views Magazine
"The story of the sandhill crane migration to Nebraska each spring is well known. But with the blending of Jeff Kurrus’ thoughtful prose and Michael Forsberg’s truly magnificent photography in Have You Seen Mary?, never before has it been told in this heartfelt, educational and inspiring way."
- ALAN J. BARTELS, Field Assistant Editor for Nebraska Life Magazine